Thursday, October 12, 2006

Gone to See a Lady About a Dog -- Back Soon

I am off Thursday and Friday with the expectation of picking up a new dog. The young bitch in question is at the far left in the line up at left, and she stands 11.5 inches tall and comes from a nice small kennel of working dogs I have admired in the past. This little girl is 11 months old, and was not for sale, so I feel lucky to get her, as she certainly appears to be a stunning looker!

Until then I will think only pure thoughts on the 470-mile trip up, and only calm thoughts on the 520-mile trip back. The simple goal is to go and come back without incident, but since I will be starting out at 2 in the morning, we do have to light a candle for the Unknown God that protects us from drunks, truckers and drunken truckers. The God of Jinx is always watching.

I will be stopping off at Oberlin on the way back in order to spend the night and have a few quality hours with the dog in a quality little town where I did my undergraduate tenure. Oberlin has only one stop light, one hotel, and perhaps the oddest student body ever collected on one campus.

It has been about 25 years since I was last back, and it will be interesting to see what has changed and what has not.

It was on the streets of Oberlin that I acquired Barney, a wonderful terrier that was to be my beloved friend for more than 15 years. Gone but not forgotten.

Another picture of the hope-to-be-soon New Dog is appended below. A stunner, eh?




No comments: